Monday, April 6, 2009

Makin Moves...

So I know i havent been posting a whole lot lately. That's mainly because schools been trying it's damnest to kick my ass. Rest assure im doing my best to stay on top of things. But in all honestly I just want to this semester to end. I think a friend of mine said it best on 1 of her FB statuses "Dear April 27, Hurry the FUCK UP". So before I even start finals week, I have 2Papers write by Friday. A take home quiz due next monday and many chapters to read/skim in various books. After dealing with my anxiety issues about the whole situation and feelings of overwhelminess. I feel more at ease and more up for the task.
Things that will get me through it all:
1. DISCIPLINE
2. MUSIC, my iPod is apart of my SOUL. (Also be sure to check me out on Last.Fm here add as a friend me if you like)
3. Friends
4. Making daily tasks lists of shit i need to get done within that 24hr time period, and I will not rest until it is done.
5. Getting ENOUGH SLEEP
6. Doing things one thing at a time.
7. Mediation; I'm going to weekly mediation class. Mediation used to be a big part of my life and I dont know why I've stopped doing it over the last year or so. Probably shouldn've as i know it would be highly beneficial to me right now.
8. Blogging/Art (Drawing) - I've always found it to be therapeutic in a way, even though I don't usually vent frustrations on it. I enjoy searching for stories to post and putting my 2 cents in. Drawing is something I've been doing since as long as I can remember, I dont do it as much as used to. But theres almost no better feeling in the world than like taking out my sketch pad and just drawing something dope and zoning out my music. I'm gonna try and work on a few pieces ive been putting off for awhile over the next few nights as a way to break from studying.
9. Taking deep breaths
10. Eliminating excess time on facebook. Shit is be hella addicting as you all know. I'm probably going to turn off my account or have a friend change my password again. until the semester is done. that will help optimize my studying time.

I've also been thinking alot about my life/career goals lately.... especially since i will be graduating next year. I've been thinking about my time in school and whether it has been more of a hindrance than beneficial. I think if someone were to ask me whether or not they should go on to higher education, my initial response would be yes. But after much deliberation I think my response now would be IT DEPENDS, on what you want to do. Obviously if you want to be a DR. or a Lawyer ur gonna have to. But if you want to start your own business or be an entrepreneur, an artist, become an actor, or whatever... I feel like having experience and having the drive would be more important. Because alot of times in those types of situation it's not what you know its who u know in terms of getting your foot in the door. But if you don't knwo what you want to do I feel like trying school can be hella costly, money and time. At the same time it could will give you a chance to hopefully learn about subjects that interest you therein giving you a path by which to travel to goals/dreams

As for me I'm not 100% of what i want to, I know i want it to be media focused preferably in the music business. marketing or promotions probably. I also know i want out of Michigan, and i want to move to NYC or Chicago, preferably NYC. I feel like it would have the most/best opportunities from someone with my interests. I have dreams of owning my own independent label all the time. but at the same time a friend and I have been tossing around this store idea for the past 6 months. We've been fleshing more concrete ideas over the past weeks but it's still in the preliminary stages, but you can be damn sure it will be dope. There's something about starting my own business and doing something for myself as a man and putting my ALL into it that is so appealing to me. And if it fails, which just wouldnt happen, I could take pride in saying at least I had the guts to do something for me and stand on my own 2 feet. Although there still apart of me who just wants to work for sartorialist and/or pitchfork, traveling the world photographing dope outfits and concerts. I saw this movie called Beautiful Losers. It's one of the most inspirational movies I've ever seen. That along with a film called Revolutionary Road, have really gotten me thinking a lot. School being a "Means to end" but if the "end" isn't something you want why waste your time? "Do what you love, Fuck the rest" a quote from 1 of my favorite movies, little miss sunshine. A quote im tryin to live my life by now. In attempts move into that career direction i have done the follwoing: Last summer I worked for 1 of the biggest media corporations in the country and developed contacts and repore though them. I would love to be the head of marketing and promotions for station like 93XRT or KROCK in cali one day. For now, I work at the Radio Station at my school as a music and I'm co-chair of the promotions committee, a group of which I founded. The station has become very close to me and i would like nothing more then to see it grow.

more on this stuff later...

gotta get back to studying.

1 comment:

Opé - Style Artist said...

As you mentioned...discipline will get you through all of your goals!